Roberta's Classic Pizza Dough Recipe
If you’re looking for the best homemade pizza dough recipe, look no further than New York City. We have sampled more than a few pizza dough recipes since the inception of the Stoke Pizza Oven and keep coming back to the same one - Roberta’s. Located in East Williamsburg, Brooklyn, Roberta’s restaurant has been open since 2008 and has created the go-to recipe for thin crust, Neapolitan style pizza.
Roberta’s recipe uses 2 types of flour: unbleached all-purpose flour, and the Italian pizza flour, type “00” or “double zero.” Double zero flour can be difficult to find at an average grocery store, look for it in a specialty grocery store and of course it’s always available on Amazon. If you can’t find it, it’s totally ok to sub for all-purpose. The dough still comes out tasting great. Bonus: when you purchase a Stoke Pizza Oven from Stokestove.com, it comes with a Delallo foods pizza dough kit which includes 00 flour!
When making homemade pizza dough, we recommend using a food scale to get exact gram measurements. The ratio of flour to water is super important and the scale is a small investment to achieve the perfect result.
Recipe - makes two 12-inch pizzas
- 153 grams 00 flour
- 153 grams unbleached all-purpose flour
- 8 grams sea salt or kosher salt
- 200 grams lukewarm water
- 2 grams active dry yeast
- 4 grams extra virgin olive oil
- Extra flour
- Mix lukewarm water, olive oil and yeast. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flours and salt. Then add the water and yeast mixture. Mix with hands until just combined. (No more dy flour.)
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Knead the dough by hand for about 3 minutes or until it has a smooth texture.
- Divide the dough into two equal-sized dough balls.
- Place the dough balls on a heavily floured surface and cover. Let rest for 3-4 hours at room temperature or 8-24 hours in the refrigerator. If you refrigerate the dough, take it out 1 hour before shaping for pizza.
- To make pizza, place the dough balls on heavily floured surface. Stretch using your hands.
- Heat Stoke Pizza Oven on high for 20 minutes.
- Add toppings to your pizza being sure you can still slide the pizza back and forth on the pizza peel.
- Turn oven down to medium heat.
- Add pizza to oven. After 30-60 seconds rotate the pie. Rotate a few more times if needed.